Sunday 22 January 2012

Why effective communication skills are important for me.

Personally I believe it is important to be equipped with effective communication skills. As many may know, in this world it is impossible to survive alone. Our daily lives involve having interactions with other people from all walks of life. From talking to your best buddy in school to an oral presentation for your project, all require some form of communication skills to get your point across accurately.

Humans are emotionally sensitive creatures. Everything that we do and the decisions that we make are in some way or another influenced by our emotions. Communication affects our emotions. For instance, your friend gets angry with you because of something you said or sometimes you bust your interview because you said something that touched a raw nerve in your interviewer. In most cases, you would not know why your actions have brought about these negative consequences. Usually in these cases, the culprit would have poor communication skills. Because I have experienced these undesirable cases before, it has amplified my awareness on the importance of having effective communication skills. 

Good communication skills benefit not only the individual but also other people too. This important tool can allow me to be a mediator in conflicts or arguments. As a good communicator, I would be able to perceive the real meaning of messages and get my point across accurately. From my experience, most conflicts arise because of misunderstandings. People conveying the wrong verbal and non-verbal signals are like two people speaking to each other in different languages. With good communication skills, I would be able to help them get their intended message across to each other just like a fluent translator!

So all in all, I see the importance in having effective communication skills because it would improve my relationships with the people around me. In addition, I may even gain new friends just by resolving their conflicts!!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Gangrui

    I agree that we need good communication skills in mediating conflicts, and that is the most direct way we can be of help to others when they are having any misunderstandings. Many a times, it is the person that is not involved in the conflict who is in a better position to see things more objectively. I agree with the statement that communication can help forge closer relationship with people around you, and in fact I feel that it is the only possible way. For the specific cases like touching a raw nerve on the interviewer, I supposed it is the first impression that matters, excluding the fact that the interviewer might have some personal biases or opinion about your background. Sometimes you would not even know what you have done ‘wrong’ to deserve those opinions, and I supposed it is beyond your control. All in all, I think we all agree that effective communication skills are important to us in improving relationship with others.

    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gang Rui,

    It's nice to see that you'd like to put effective communication to good use by resolving conflicts. Your post is easy to read and understand (effective and efficient). I agree that effective communication helps to build and manage relations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the compliment! and yea effective communication is really important

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sympathize with you on your interview. Unquestionably, effective communication is the utmost skill that one ought to display on striking an excellent first impression. However, sometimes is just what I call '八字不合'. I have taken a seminar style module LAC3203 (Chinese) a couple of semesters ago and the tutor hated me since day 1. It is definitely not because of my Chinese being poor as I took Chinese as my A level subject. I always wear a smile on meeting and speaking to people. I was very polite towards her and have actively partcipated in class. However, she tried to put me down on every chance she could grasp. She did it so apparent that my coursemates were all feeling unfair for me. As what Li Yuan had mentioned, the interviewer may simply just have a personal bias.

    Receiving accurate and true meaning from a sender's words would require the right channel (via email, sms or etc) and the receiver's level of knowledge on the content of the speech. Therefore, it is necessary to question whenever appropriate or in doubt. A combination of positive words with negative unpleasant body language may too result in misunderstanding. I think wearing a bright smile will soothe most situation and allow for effective conversation. Remember to always put on your best smile! People often get too mesmerized and caught up by amazing smiles that they forget to take notice on any unpleasant body language.

    I admire that you want to hone your communication skills for assisting to mediate conflicts surfaced. I hope you can attain the required and enjoy the delicious fruits from the seeds that you sow now.

    Cheers,

    Chee Kian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i have experienced what you had before! its quite frustrating when the person is always nasty to you no matter how hard you try!

      Delete
  5. Hi Gang!

    I do agree with your point, we need effective communication in life just like what you've told before, not communicate effectively can be source of conflict. i have friends who end up have conflict because each of them refuse to tell what they think. the problem is they don't tell it.
    Furthermore, really hope you can achieve your target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a fluent translator is an interesting viewpoint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gang Rui,

    I can relate to the conflict due to miscommunication. While a disagreement among friends can always be resolved by talking it out (among us guys anyway...) the situations like that of the interviews might be a bit more serious in that there may not be a way to rectify the situation. In any case, I'm also doing this module to try and be a better communicator and reduce conflict opportunities via miscommunication. Hopefully, we can be much better communicators at the end and make our lives less conflict ridden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeap! my reason for taking this module is exactly the same as yours. I bet after this module is over, we would really be professional communicators!

      Delete
  8. Hi Gangrui,

    That's true, having good communication skills also benefits others. I recently had the misfortune of being caught in a quarrel between 2 friends. In their angry state, neither could explain clearly what they were upset about and both ended up in a shouting match. Neither party took time to understand the situation clearly. Being a neutral party, I was able to step in and hear both sides out. After explaining the situation to the both of them, the conflict was deescalated and resolved very quickly. If I had not been able to articulate their points of view properly, I could have been accused of taking sides and probably sucked into the quarrel as well.

    Leon

    ReplyDelete