Sunday 8 April 2012

Reflection on Oral Presentation


Due to the time constraints, we had little time to rehearse our presentation. As a result, we were a little skeptical about our on screen performance. Our team only managed a proper rehearsal on the presentation day itself. I still remembered very vividly what happened. All of us woke up very early on the day of presentation as we had to meet in school at 645am to rehearse. Because of the meeting time, there was no internal shuttle bus service. Hence, I had to walk all the way from my hall (near arts faculty) all the way to science. This was the first time I had walked so far in the school campus. Actually, it was quite refreshing as it was my first time experiencing how the campus looked like at dawn. 

After the first team was done, it was finally our turn. As I was the first speaker, I could really feel the pressure welling up as I stood in front of the crowd. It was because as a first speaker, I was responsible for setting the mood of the crowd and also stating clearly the direction of our proposal. After giving the go ahead, I started my presentation. As I was about three quarters through the speech, I saw the cue that my 5 minutes was up. In my mind I had still quite a bit of points to elaborate but I have to end it quick so not as to eat into my team member’s time. Hence at that point of time, I stumbled a little bit as I have to rearrange my train of thoughts to end my part.

For the question and answer session, I felt our team has done a great job as we answered all questions with ease. This is where I realized that putting alot of hard work into the proposal indeed pay off! Because for most of the answers to the questions, we have already researched and answered them in our proposal. After everything was over, I can describe this whole ordeal using this Chinese saying which translates, 3 minutes on stage requires 10 years of preparation. I believe many of you would agree to it!

7 comments:

  1. OMG!! That is quite a distance you walked! More so in your attire!!

    Guess lots of us have the problem of dealing with the cue at the end of 5 minutes. I was also forced to quicken my pace upon the 5 minute signal. But I did not notice your stumble too much such that it became a hindrance. Your delivery was smooth and lively, with emphasized placed at the right points.

    As for your tone, perhaps you could be a little more serious. Guess it is in your nature that your voice is a little be peppy, with that tinge of funniness. Other than that minor point, I felt that you did really great as an opener for your group's presentation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeap i gotta agree maybe my seriousness level was not there cause its alittle hard for me to be 100% serious. thanks for the comment!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Gangrui,

    I like your introduction, where there is a very clear problem statement: there is an inherent risk of fire in NUS, and to make things worse, 50% of student population is not aware of the evacuation route! I like the part before this, whereby you use a real life example of a fire incident in a chemistry lab to illustrate this ‘inherent risk’. One way that for it to be less disruptive to all students’ schedule would be for your team to isolate those faculties that are at higher risk of fire (due to the nature of the research lab work) and to implement this scheme (extra fire drills and LERM) to them first and slowly expand to the whole varsity, ie to implement in phases.

    I totally agree with your statement “3minutes effort onstage is equivalent to a 10years effort off stage”. Hence if we want to excel in oral presentation next time when we join the workforce, we have to start actively practicing and doing oral presentation! All the best buddy! Good job for your oral presentation!


    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gang Rui,

    I reckoned that walk must have gotten rid of most of your nervousness as well. I liked your presentation immensely. It was relaxed, confident and very factual. And the injection humour certainly helped your cause.
    The problem was presented in a clear and convincing way and the background was relevant yet detailed.
    Great work!

    Cheers,
    G-Man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks govin!hahaha it was a long long walk!

      Delete
  4. Hi Gang Rui,

    Great presentation. I loved how you managed to captivate the interest of the audience. You didn't seem the least bit nervous. Very natural. Also, you didn't seem like you were rushing either.

    I also liked the proposal itself. The idea of using LEDS flushed with the floor could be a possible implementation. Ironically, just after your presentation, I saw that in Engin glow-in-the-dark tapes have been pasted on the walls. Maybe they've been there for some time now but I just noticed them. Either way, the LEDs seem like a better option.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YES!! i also just noticed the tapes after i presented!! really quite ironic!

      Delete